Thursday, May 21, 2015

Wayward Pines vs. Twin Peaks


Doppelgangers meet the Abbies!
I'm pretty much a complete nerd when it comes to Twin Peaks and have been since I was a kid. I never felt like I had to justify my fanhood in any way, I just love the show. As a Twin Peaks geek, I love to explore things that have been inspired by the series. I think that Twin Peaks and David Lynch's work in general offer a lot to draw from. It's a beautiful thing that so many artists, writers and creators of today have been influenced by Twin Peaks and all things Lynchian. Everything comes from somewhere and everyone is influenced by someone else. The news of David Lynch directing all the episodes in 2017 will no doubt create an outpouring of Twin Peaks mania for all to geek out about and feel inspired by.

Sometime back I picked up a copy of a book called Desert Places on a whim while shopping in the grocery store. I recall thinking the cover was creepy and took a chance. I ended up loving it and thinking the author, Blake Crouch, was a really terrific writer. I've since read several of his books and have continued to enjoy his work. So when I heard that he was a Twin Peaks fan and had written a series of books inspired by Twin Peaks, I couldn't wait to get my hands on them. 

The series consists of three books: Pines, Wayward & The Last Town.  I've read all of them and absolutely loved them. The third, The Last Town, was my favorite, but all three are great. When it was announced that Wayward was being made into a television series I was excited to watch. If the series is even half as good as The Last Town, it will be terrific! Is it like Twin Peaks? Well...sort of. It is in the sense that the books are set in a mysterious town surrounded by woods. Otherwise the similarities are more exterior. Wayward is very much it's own entity. I also think it has more of a science fiction/horror feel to it rather than the surreal feel of Twin Peaks. It's also not as humorous as Twin Peaks. The Wayward books play more for thrills. 

With all of that said, I'm not much an M. Night Shyamalan fan. He does have talent, but his movies aren't my cup of tea. He's not Lynch, but no one is. Even with that said, despite my love for David Lynch, I don't love everything he's done either. Inland Empire turned me off and I don't care for Dune either. No director gets it's right every time. However when I heard Blake Crouch was heavily involved in the making of Wayward Pines, I felt that was really promising news for the TV series, despite M. Night's directing attachment. 

I've now watched the pilot of Wayward Pines on Fox. It felt a bit more like Lost at first, but I did find myself liking it. There are some differences from the books, but I'm willing to accept that because I realize the writer's have to make considerations for it to be a long running series. Whether or not it will work for the long haul is still unknown. Usually the books are better in these situations. However I'm intrigued enough to keep watching. There is no reason to compare it to Twin Peaks and make it a competition to see which is better. Twin Peaks will always be Twin Peaks. It stands in a league of it's own. So where Wayward Pines is concerned don't be a hater, think for yourself. Even if you don't watch the show, the books are definitely worth your time!

 Matt Dillon will always be my Drug Store Cowboy


Update 07/24/2015 - After having watched the entire series, I would rate Wayward Pines as a 7.5 out of 10. As a fan of the books, I didn't like some of the changes that were made, particularly the ending. Overall I did enjoy the series, despite some bad acting. Matt Dillon was great, but the forced kid/school plot, which wasn't in the books, ultimately turned me off. I still think it was worth watching though.



2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of the books as well. So far I'm iffy on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayward is turning out to be a pretty good show.

    ReplyDelete