Review of The Missing Pieces

Don't take the ring, Laura!

The Missing Pieces

First let me start by saying that if you don't have the The Missing Pieces Blu-Ray set it's well worth the price. It's a beautiful set for Twin Peaks fans. I actually just purchased it and watched the entire Missing Pieces footage. After having watched I feel like, perhaps foolishly so, I have a clearer understanding of Laura Palmer. Being a long time fan, sometimes I forget that the beauty of Twin Peaks was that every time I rewatch the series and the movie there is always something new I take away from it. After seeing all the footage, which I think was put together wonderfully by David Lynch, it left me feeling a bit sad.

I'm not ashamed to say that parts of the show always make me cry. The movie in particular was always very intense and emotional to me. As I stated in a previous post, My Love Affair with Twin Peaks, I had the pleasure of seeing Fire Walk With Me in the theater. I would deem it "an experience" rather than just a trip to the movies. I was young, probably a bit impressionable and extremely open to all that the film had to offer. I never read the negative critic reviews back then, because I didn't care about that stuff at the time. I only knew that the movie was hypnotic, scary, weird, sexy and at times even a little uncomfortable. I liked the unique insight into Laura's last days and was highly intrigued by everything to do with Bob, The Arm and The Black Lodge.

However I can understand how some fans felt the movie was disappointing. The movie lacks the humor, charm and many of our favorite Twin Peaks character's from the series. It also doesn't tell you anything about what happened to Dale at the of the series. Now that I've watched the Missing Pieces I can see that there were a lot of good scenes and character's filmed for the movie, which might have added a little more of the TP feel that was missing from the film's final cut. The extra footage was actually chalk full of interesting mythology and some very interesting Palmer family moments. There were many references to Teresa Banks' ring. So much so that it got me wondering if this will be featured somehow in the new episodes in 2016 or 2017, when the show comes back.

Toward the end we get to see an extended scene between Laura and Bobby from the film. She goes to his house to get some cocaine. He informs her that he killed the guy in the woods over baby laxative and their drug score is a bust. All Laura cares about is getting a fix and despite Bobby's attempt to get her to stay with him, party and fool around she refuses. Bobby knows all she wants is cocaine so her gives her a little and says it's okay. We know that if she had stayed with him she might not have been killed, at least not on that night. Nonetheless I found the scene very touching in a way and I think it made Bobby more sympathetic. 

The most intriguing is the final scenes which shows Annie being rushed to the hospital after being rescued from Glastonbury Grove. She's in a catatonic state and says to the nurse in her  room that "The good Dale is trapped in the lodge..." fans knows that Laura dreams of a bloody Annie telling her the same thing in FWWM. The nurse then steals the ring from Annie's finger and walks out. Then we see the final scene of the series. Doc Hayward and Truman are waiting in Dale's room at The Great Northern while he's in the bathroom. They hear the sound of glass breaking so Truman kicks in the bathroom door. Dale quickly lays on the floor and oddly claims he's slipped and broke the glass on his way down. However he's clearly off so Doc Hayward insists that he lay down again and then it ends.

All in all I think it's a must watch for Twin Peaks fans and I would give it an A+.  

See you in the trees!


Like me on Facebook here ---> TP Facebook Page


Follow me on Twitter @twinpeaksblog



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recap of the Pilot & Alternate Ending

"Dick Laurent Is Dead" - Dissecting Lost Highway

Twin Peaks Returns (Part 8): A Message to the World

The Load on Toad

"This Is The Girl" - Thoughts on Mulholland Drive