Fox Mulder Meet Denise Bryson


One Man. One carries an unabashed belief in the unknown, the other wears a skirt and a wig. Both have unusual approaches to their careers, although only one saves the day in a blue waitress uniform and thigh high stockings!

Every Twin Peaks fan knows that a couple years before David Dochovny became the infamous Fox Mulder on the X-Files, he played the hilarious role of a cross-dressing DEA Agent named Denise Bryson on Twin Peaks. Although only in a few episodes, Agent Bryson is widely beloved as one of Twin Peaks best and funniest side characters. With the news of both the X-Files and Twin Peaks returning, I think fans would love it if Denise found her way back to Twin Peaks and it looks like its going to happen. Read here --- > Denise Bryson Back?

I am first and foremost a Twin Peaks fan, but I'm also a big fan of the X-Files. Not to the extreme degree that I love Twin Peaks, but it's one of my all time favorite shows. I watched the first few seasons of the X-Files faithfully in the 90's and saw the first X-Files movie (1998) in the theater. I lost track of the later seasons, but eventually I caught up with the entire series and watched the second X-Files movie (2008), which I wasn't crazy about. 

However, I always loved Fox Mulder an the terrific chemistry he shared with Agent Dana Scully (the wonderfully talented, Gillian Anderson), but mostly I was fascinated by aliens. I devoured the conspiracy episodes and usually enjoyed the stand alone ones. Some of the stand alone episodes are the most classic of the series, others were tough to get through. Overall I enjoyed Fox, Dana, the Smoking Man, Skinner and The Lone Gunmen the most and of course...aliens! 

Not to mention there were several Twin Peaks actors that found their way onto the X-Files over the years. That list includes Michael Horse (Hawk), Ken Welsh (Windom Earle), Richard Beymer (Ben Horne), Gary Bullock (Sheriff Cable), Don Davis (Major Briggs), Michael Anderson (Little Man aka the arm), Frances Bay (Mrs. Tremond), Claire Stansfield (Sid), Robin Lively (Lana), and Jan D'Arcy (Sylvia Horne), just to name a few.

"Trust No One!" ~ Deep Throat

It seems Twin Peaks helped to pave the way for the X-Files and other shows like it, but the X-Files became a legend all on it's own. I think as soon as I heard the opening theme I was hooked as a kid. It took awhile for the show to pick up steam and kind of reminded me of the 80's show, Friday the 13th: The Series. As the first season went on, The X-Files got better and better. Many of the episodes were creepy, scary and just plain weird, but always fun to watch. My affection for The X-files deepened with every government conspiracy episode that I watched. 

Special Agent Dale Cooper had a captivating quality in Twin Peaks. I believe David Dochovny's, Fox Mulder was greatly inspired by Kyle Maclachlan's portrayal of Dale Cooper. They shared the same boyish curiosity, both were walking their own unique path and were often misunderstood by their peers. I think in Twin Peaks Dale's uniqueness was embraced a bit more, unfortunately for Fox Mulder his choices often left him on the outside looking in. Regardless, Dochovny uses his own special dry wit to give both Fox Mulder and Agent Denise Bryson an unforgettable scene stealing prowess.


I still put my panties on one leg at a time, if you know what I mean!
For X-Files fans who aren't familiar with Twin Peaks, Agent Bryson's character was originally known to Dale Cooper as Dennis. He only learned that Agent Bryson had a lifestyle change when Agent Bryson walked into the Twin Peaks Sheriff's station wearing a long brunette wig, high heels and a skirt. Watch here --- > Agent Bryson 

He later explained to Dale that he'd been on a stakeout that required he wore woman's clothing and found that it relaxed him. After which, he decided to go by the name of Denise and made wearing woman's clothes a permanent thing. It didn't take long for Agent Bryson to win everyone over, not to mention he saved Dale's life at Dead Dog Farm. 

It looks like 2016 & 2017 will be good years for fans of both shows, in addition to David Duchovny fans in general. Personally I'm thrilled!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recap of the Pilot & Alternate Ending

"Dick Laurent Is Dead" - Dissecting Lost Highway

Twin Peaks Returns (Part 8): A Message to the World

The Load on Toad

"This Is The Girl" - Thoughts on Mulholland Drive